Medicare Supplement plans are made to fill the gap in the original Medicare. Original Medicare includes two types of Medicare –
- Medicare Part A includes the hospital inpatient.
- Medicare part B includes outpatient or doctors.
These plans are given by all companies because it is considered the standard form of Medicare plans. The Medicare Supplement plans are also called the Medigap plans and they are federally standardized. This means that all companies will have exact Medicare plans. The Medigap plans can be used anywhere in the country, unlike other Medicare plans that are network-based.
Elite Insurance Partner & MedicareFAQ.com is an insurance brokerage that connects consumers with knowledgeable agents that provide appropriate Medicare coverage. Their office is based in Palm Harbor, Florida. EIP is nationally recognized as an industry leader and has received numerous awards. Their trained agents provide clients with options of the 10 best supplemental insurance companies for Medicare so that the client makes the right choice for their plans.
The benefit of the Medigap plan is to reduce the overburdened expenses of the medical bill. First, you pay the premium for the plan, then the policy will take care of the medical expenses under the Medigap plan. This plan is beneficial after the age of 65 because this plan is offered regardless of any health condition.
Even if the Medigap plan is federally standardized, the drawback is that all doctors don’t accept the Medicare Supplement plans. However, if the doctor accepts the primary Medicare coverage, then they will accept the Medigap as well.
How to find a doctor who accepts the Medigap plan?
- There are more than 7,500 urgent care centers in the US, that serve patients with typical conditions like diabetes care, flu, shingle shots, blood pressure testing, etc. These clinics provide Medigap and Medicare Supplement plans along with full care for the patients.
- According to the report provided by the Kaiser Family Foundation/Commonwealth Fund 2015 National Survey of Primary Care Providers, most rural primary care physicians accept the new Medigap plan compared to city care providers. Hence anyone staying in the countryside will benefit if they have a Medigap plan.
- As a Medicare Supplement enrollee, you can also search online to find a doctor in your area who accepts these plans. There are various tools provided by the US government to assist, simply download the list of doctors from these websites and check for the doctor in your area.
- You can also check with your state’s insurance department to get the list of physicians who accept Medicare Supplement plans in your state.
- In case, your regular doctor doesn’t accept Medicare Supplement plans or has opted out of them, then you can always ask for a referral for a doctor who is in this plan. There is no harm in asking, because you have paid a huge amount to get this plan, so it is time to take benefit of it.
To conclude, all doctors don’t accept Medigap plans. However, there are still some on the list which may help you in the best way. You can still look for doctors or care center through different possible ways that accept Medigap plans. This plan helps senior citizens in the best way when they are surviving on benefits.